If you plan to travel to Germany and Europe, to visit relatives, participate in a summer school or work seminar then Schengen visa is the way to travel in Germany and all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement.
With the Schengen agreement countries in Europe decided to gradually abolish border controls, and make movement of people much easier.
With a Schengen visa you can travel and stay not only in Germany, but all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement for a period of up to 90 days:
- Completed application form in English and German only
- Passport size photographs (see visa photo requirements for details)
- Valid national passport
- Bank statements for the last three months
- Confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical treatment with a minimum of €30,000
- Reference letter from your employer
- Proof of group travel/hotel reservation/airline reservation and one copy
- Your driver’s license and/or utility bill in your name as proof of residence in the consular where you plan to apply for the visa
Where and how to apply?
You can apply at the Embassy of the country where you want to go. First-time applicants have to submit the application form along with the required documents in person. Frequent travellers may submit their application and documents via an agent or a travel agency.
It is recommended you apply for a visa at least 3 weeks before your travel date to meet any processing delays.
Paying the visa
Applicants have to pay for the visa by a bank transfer. Check’s or credit cards are not accepted by embassies. The money order must be in the name of the Consulate in your home country and not be older than two months. Cost of a Schengen visa as of 2008 is €60.
Please note the visa fees will not be reimbursed in case of the visa being rejected and the price is subject to change at any time.