You have received your notification of being a winning candidate to study in a German University or a Foundation Course.
Having in hand your much expected document such as the university admission letter stating that you qualify to enter higher education studies in Germany, you can apply for the Student Visa immediately. Same in case you have in your hand a notification for being accepted to enroll in a Foundation Course.
This type of German visa is typically issued for a period of 90 DAYS or 3 MONTHS. If you have to stay more than 3 months you MUST apply at the Alien Registration Office “Ausländerbehörde“ in the city in Germany where the university is located to get the proper Residence Permit “Aufenthaltsgenehmigung”.
The required documents to apply for a Germany Student Visa to a German Embassy or Consulate are:
- Two Duly Completed Visa Application Form
- Two Recently Taken Portrait Photographs (strict requirements, read our photo requirements page)
- Valid Passport (read passport requirements)
- University Admission Letter “Zulassungsbescheinigung”, or Studienkolleg Admission Letter
- Authenticated Certificates of Earlier Education (formal and informal)
- Means of Subsistence – 7908 Euro per year (personal financial statements of the last three months, scholarship award certificate, fixed deposit statement “Sperrkonto”, written confirmation of parents or sponsor that he/she will cover your costs, or other)
- Proof of Covered Health Insurance – for the entire period of stay in Germany
- Proof of Paid Visa Fee – 60 Euro (Since 14 May 2008, the fee for all types of visas has been EUR 60)
*Note: Each original has to be offered with 2 (two) photocopies
Other types of German student visas:
- Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning)
- Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung)